July 16, 2011

Hope for the Future of Gaming

I haven't been able to buy a game for a long time. I just recently obtained enough money for a new game and was probably going to buy Gears of War 3 with that. Then I looked on IGN (I hate IGN btw) and saw a sort of odd game called Catherine. I had never seen anything like it. Then, I went on Xbox live to play some Halo 3 and noticed there was a demo. I decided that maybe it wouldn't hurt to actually see what it's like. I started it up and immediately noticed the out of date graphics, but that didn't bother me that much. Also, I've never been a fan of anime so I kind of got turned off a little by that, but again decided to ignore it. The first level started and it honestly blew my mind. I never thought such a simple concept could be so intriguing.

Basically, all you do in each of the levels is climb to the top of the main character's (Vincent) dreams. You have to move the blocks certain ways in order to climb and it's gets very intense because there's something chasing after you or the blocks are falling. It gives a lot of symbolism of what Vincent is going through.

The story is pretty well thought out too. It's definitely a more mature theme, but I think you are able to relate to the situation even if you have no idea what it's like. The story is rather simple, you're a 32 year old man who's being pressured by your girlfriend of five years to marry her while having an affair with another girl. It shows his internal struggle of how he wants to live his life. I don't know much more than this though.

I just personally thought that this game is the most original game I have seen all year and it's good to see something out of the ordinary. It gave me hope that some game developers are still creating new ideas of how games should be made. I already have pre-ordered it and it's going to arrive at my house on July 26.